Jazz Pharmaceuticals is looking for an experienced Principal Architect with proven skills as an infrastructure technology leader and with a passion for our mission “to improve the lives of patients in all that we do.” The Principal Architect must have a deep understanding of our business needs with the ability to translate them into scalable technical and operational architectures across new and emerging platforms.
He/she will be responsible for assessing current infrastructure platform capabilities against current and future needs, resulting in a future state architecture (including service design & sustainability, technology platforms and vendor engagement) and roadmap. The architect is responsible for developing technical solution options and recommendations, including technical and business value of the proposition with appropriate tradeoffs.
He/she will possess a work style that promotes progress through collaborative teamwork in a dynamic environment. The candidate must be committed to delivering technology solutions with well-defined SLAs, requirements and risk mitigation plans, the highest levels of customer service, and to continuously improve process, product and performance improvements. Ultimately he/she is responsible for delivering business outcomes via digital platforms.
Job Responsibilities and Requirements:
- This person will combine past experiences and expertise with industry trends and best practices to bring rigor and repeatability into system & platform design.
- He/she will help mature the discipline of Infrastructure/System Design and Architecture and will evangelize the value of such discipline to the broader IT organization.
- He/she will be responsible for managing the Infrastructure Engineering team, providing thought leadership, collaboration, transparency and excellence.
Architecture and Design
- Ensure architectural coherence across the infrastructure services developed by our infrastructure engineering and application teams, as well as encouraging best practices in application development using our platform services.
- Vet vendors and their offerings from an infrastructure service and cloud platform perspective to ensure best fit for Jazz business needs and service excellence.
- This includes understanding risk to Jazz should there be issues based on vendor or platform performance, stability, supportability, day-to-day reliability for core infrastructure & security services, etc.
- Ensure architectural success of IT Infrastructure & Security projects delivering or affecting critical services or platforms.
- Ensure project planning and delivery success for all IT Infrastructure & Security projects.
- Provide oversight, technical guidance and mentorship to engineers within the Jazz infrastructure engineering and partner ecosystem technical teams
- Drive infrastructure engineering efforts around design, build and deploy.
- Maintain broad understanding of emerging technologies and their relevance/applicability to our organization. Ability to conceptualize and anticipate business challenges/opportunities to help plan future technologies.
- Provide hands-on technical expertise during design, development, implementation and testing of solutions for integrating new technologies.
- Work as a core member of various IT architecture activities by collaborating with peers on projects and best practices.
- Define and evangelize best practices and ensure global consistency across systems design, codebase and service endpoints.
- Work with Operations teams as needed to troubleshoot vendor problems and facilitate quick resolution
- Experienced in managing a diverse team of infrastructure engineers, creating a collaborative and transparent team environment, with a customer first mind set.
- Experienced in architecting, designing and building scalable and performant cloud infrastructure for solutions with high availability, extreme reliability, service availability, and patching without service downtime.
- Deep experience in cloud and on-premise infrastructures (e.g., corporate networks, enterprise authentication platforms, virtual server technologies, enterprise storage, etc.)
- Prior vendor research, selection, due diligence and qualification with regard to their ability to render a server well as well as their underlying technical platforms
- Prior vendor management experience with expertise in evaluating performance of vendors and holding vendors accountable to SLAs, optimizing contracts through negotiations and resolving reliability/dependency issues with vendor networks.
- Experience with “on-premise to cloud” migrations for IT transformations.
- Experience with full-lifecycle system deployment participating in all facets of development (requirements gathering, design, implementation, unit testing, system testing, release and on-going service management)
- Experience with system lifecycles where products are largely COTS and rely on vendors for configuration and on-going management with a focus on transitioning systems/platforms from “build” to “in-production”
- Proven ability to define technical strategy in partnership with the cross-functional business and IT Stakeholders.
- Excellent modeling skills (application, business capability, business process, integration, data) using standard notations
- Strong presentation and communication skills with ability to engage and influence senior level staff
- Experience with technical leadership, program management, or people management
- Demonstrated experience leading cross-functional teams through influence, collaboration, and coalition-building; and very comfortable in situations requiring constrained creativity to make sure we are solving business problems today without creating big problems tomorrow.
- Deep understanding of cloud platforms (AWS, GCP, Azure), cloud strategy (public, private, hybrid), storage, DNS, routing/switching, load balancing, firewalls and VoIP.
Additional Valuable Skills:
- Pharmaceutical industry experience
- Working in environments with high adoption of Cloud technologies
- Experience in business of rapid change and growth
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.