The Government Relations & Policy Director leads the development and execution of Jazz's federal and state legislative and policy strategies to support business priorities.
The Director is part of the Corporate Affairs & Government Relations Department which includes: Global Corporate Communications, Global Advocacy, and Corporate Giving. The Government Relations & Policy Director reports to the Vice President, Corporate Affairs & Government Relations.
- Registered federal and state lobbyist and lead public policy analyst for Jazz Pharmaceuticals. Responsible for developing, establishing, and managing federal and state government affairs posiitons and strategies to drive business priorities.
- Provide direction to and manage legislative and policy consultants to ensure Jazz's strategies and tactics are executed in an optimal manner.
- Serve as the lead interface with BIO and other relevant trade associations to ensure that Jazz's interests are protected and/or advanced.
- Develop and execute an executive engagement strategy that helps Jazz engage compliantly and effectively in the political process.
- Lead and develop policy positions reflective of the organization and our business portfolio. Monitor, interpret and translate legislative, regulatory, political and other government proposals for Jazz.
- Identify, analyze and understand federal and state policy developments, proposals, and the corresponding risks or opportunities of the company, and its products.
- Serve as a liasion between Jazz and federal agencies, legislators, and staff for designated business areas, and lobby on assigned topics.
- Work closely with the VP to manage coportate intersts affected by federal and state legislative and regulatory policy, including: federal health policy, Rx reimbursement, tax implications, Medicare/Medicaid, 340B, VA/DOD and other areas that may impact Jazz.
- Work closely with the VP to execute with relevant stakeholders the Jazz corporate reputation plan.
- Work collaboratively and in a full integrated manner with other Corporate Affairs functions and other internal stakeholders including Legal, Compliance, Regulatory and Jazz's Commercial teams.
- Serve as a valuable & contributing member of the Corporate Affairs Leadership team and coordinate/collaborate/integrate all actions in DC and state capitols so that they are aligned with the overall Jazz Corporate Affairs strategic plan.
- Represent the company's interest working with relevant think tanks, coalitions, legislative and policy work groups, and other stakeholders who can have a legislative and/or poliy impact with respect to Jazz's business.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of applicable laws and regulations governing corporate lobbying programs at extensive knowledge of relevant health care policy matters and legislative processes.
- Extensive legislative and policy experience required; understanding of biopharmaceutical industry preferred. Experience in trade associations helpful
- Demonstrated understanding of compliance requirements, and legislative and regulatory processes; and prepared to certify compliance on regular basis.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully on Federal & State level and within a corproate environment
- Global experience helpful
Required/Preferred Education and Licenses
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Graduate degree preferred with a focus in public policy or health policy or law.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant policy experience.
- Minimum of 10 years releventfederal federal government affairs experience.
Description of Physical Demands
- Consistent mobility within office environment.
- Routinely walking and sitting for extended periods of time.
- Constantly operating a computer, printer, telephone and other similar office machinery.
Description of Work Environment
- Work indoors in normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, fumes, vibrations and temperature changes.
- Frequent computer use at workstation.
- May move from one work location to another occasionally.
- Responsibilities may require a work schedule that may include working outside of “normal” work hours, in order to meet business demands.
Public contact requiring appropriate business apparel.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.