Based either in Palo Alto or Philadelphia, the SVP Clinical Development will have overall responsibility for all aspects of Clinical Development. This is a highly collaborative environment and therefore he/she will contribute to shaping the overall R&D strategy, in line with business goals and with the aim to constantly challenge the team to create innovative treatment options for patients. The philosophy is to put people first, both patients and employees.
The SVP will lead a team of approximately 150, which includes the following functions:
- Early Development, including Pharmacology
- Clinical Operations and Data Management
- Therapeutic Area Heads (Hem-Onc and Neuroscience/Sleep/Pain)
- Senior Fellow in Sleep/Neuroscience Research
The SVP will be viewed as the “strategic partner” to the Global Head of Research and Development/Chief Medical Officer, helping to determine the strategy and standards of operational excellence and implementation.
- Provide a vision of excellence in Clinical Development, in terms of standards, process and performance, and create and refine a Clinical Development strategy with a road-map for implementation.
- From a Governance perspective, take the lead in determining the most advantageous clinical development programs for the company, ensuring “buy-in” from the Executive Team and all key stakeholders.
- Manage resources, budgets, forecasts, people and technologies. Be accountable for delivery timelines and the highest levels of compliance standards and ethics.
- Motivate and develop members of the team to enable them to meet their personal career goals and needs of the Clinical Development organization. Recognize performance of the team and where needed, hire key external talent that will augment existing skills and fit the Jazz culture.
- Provide insight and direction to the Business Development function, enabling them to refine their strategy and evaluate opportunities as they arise.
- Ensure Jazz Pharmaceuticals has a robust pipeline of product development programs, challenge existing thinking re: therapeutic focus.
- Continue to build a culture of openness and transparency that motivates and rewards performance. Ensure the team has the most appropriate skills, and hire key talent when needed. Identify and drive succession planning to optimize future talent.
- Represent Jazz Pharmaceuticals in various external forums as needed. Through outstanding communication skills, help to increase the profile of Jazz R&D.
- Build mutually respectful and collaborative working relationships with other key functions. Ensure this behavior is replicated throughout the Clinical Development organization.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is seeking a seasoned Clinical Development leader who has substantial bio/pharma industry experience, coupled with a track record of leading a global team to accomplish successful regulatory filings and approvals. This includes:
- Have led teams and personally worked in at least two Therapeutic areas across Phase I-IV global studies.
- An experienced leader who has successfully managed high performance cross-functional teams, worked in a matrix structure, with the ability to translate strategy into clear operational objectives.
- Have built a career in clinical development in a large organization and benefited from excellent training and development, coupled with a more entrepreneurial environment that has experienced dynamic growth.
- Demonstrate managerial courage to lead teams through change, especially growth, and ensure all actions taken are in line with the Jazz culture of respecting the individual.
- Led a multi-site, multi-function global organization of significant size and complexity. Able to hold people accountable, provide thoughtful and accurate feedback; delegate appropriately, drive to develop and retain top talent. Uses sound judgement in hiring decisions.
- Have the gravitas, confidence and executive presence to operate with business leaders. Be self-confident, but without ego. Have not only scientific credibility, but obvious business acumen.
- Is organized, resourceful, planful; effective and efficient at marshalling multiple resources to accomplish results. Through experience, can foresee challenges and is able to plan around predicted obstacles. Utilizes personal wisdom and experience to come to the best conclusion and solution to resolving issues.
- Is skilled at getting individuals, teams, and an entire organization to perform at a higher level and to embrace change; negotiates skillfully to achieve a fair outcome or promote a common cause; communicates a compelling vision and is committed to what needs to be done. Able to inspire others, understands what motivates different people.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.