Jazz Pharmaceuticals is looking for an experienced Principal Architect with proven skills as an infrastructure technology leader and with a passion for our mission “to improve the lives of patients in all that we do.” The Principal Architect must have a deep understanding of our business needs with the ability to translate them into scalable technical and operational architectures across new and emerging platforms. He/she will be responsible for assessing current infrastructure platform capabilities against current and future needs, resulting in a future state architecture (including service design & sustainability, technology platforms and vendor engagement) and roadmap. The architect is responsible for developing technical solution options and recommendations, including technical and business value of the proposition with appropriate tradeoffs. He/she will possess a work style that promotes progress through collaborative teamwork in a dynamic environment. The candidate must be committed to delivering technology solutions with well-defined SLAs, requirements and risk mitigation plans, the highest levels of customer service, and to continuously improve process, product and performance improvements. Ultimately he/she is responsible for delivering business outcomes via digital platforms.
Job Responsibilities and Requirements:
- This person will combine past experiences and expertise with industry trends and best practices to bring rigor and repeatability into system & platform design.
- He/she will help mature the discipline of Infrastructure/System Design and Architecture and will evangelize the value of such discipline to the broader IT organization
- He/she will be responsible for managing the Infrastructure Engineering team, providing thought leadership, collaboration, transparency and excellence.
Architecture and Design Responsibilities
- Ensure architectural coherence across the infrastructure services developed by our infrastructure engineering and application teams, as well as encouraging best practices in application development using our platform services
- Vet vendors and their offerings from an infrastructure service and cloud platform perspective to ensure best fit for Jazz business needs and service excellence.
- This includes understanding risk to Jazz should there be issues based on vendor or platform performance, stability, supportability, day-to-day reliability for core infrastructure & security services, etc.
- Ensure architectural success of IT Infrastructure & Security projects delivering or affecting critical services or platforms
- Ensure project planning and delivery success for all IT Infrastructure & Security projects
- Provide oversight, technical guidance and mentorship to engineers within the Jazz infrastructure engineering and partner ecosystem technical teams
- Drive infrastructure engineering efforts around design, build and deploy
- Maintain broad understanding of emerging technologies and their relevance/applicability to our organization. Ability to conceptualize and anticipate business challenges/opportunities to help plan future technologies. Provide hands-on technical expertise during design, development, implementation and testing of solutions for integrating new technologies.
- Work as a core member of various IT architecture activities by collaborating with peers on projects and best practices
- Define and evangelize best practices and ensure global consistency across systems design, codebase and service endpoints
- Work with Operations teams as needed to troubleshoot vendor problems and facilitate quick resolution
- Experienced in managing a diverse team of infrastructure engineers, creating a collaborative and transparent team environment, with a customer first mind set
- Experienced in architecting, designing and building scalable and performant cloud infrastructure for solutions with high availability, extreme reliability, service availability, and patching without service downtime
- Deep experience in cloud and on-premise infrastructures (e.g., corporate networks, enterprise authentication platforms, virtual server technologies, enterprise storage, etc.)
- Prior vendor research, selection, due diligence and qualification with regard to their ability to render a server well as well as their underlying technical platforms
- Prior vendor management experience with expertise in evaluating performance of vendors and holding vendors accountable to SLAs, optimizing contracts through negotiations and resolving reliability/dependency issues with vendor networks.
- Experience with “on-premise to cloud” migrations for IT transformations.
- Experience with full-lifecycle system deployment participating in all facets of development (requirements gathering, design, implementation, unit testing, system testing, release and on-going service management) Experience with system lifecycles where products are largely COTS and rely on vendors for configuration and on-going management with a focus on transitioning systems/platforms from “build” to “in-production” Proven ability to define technical strategy in partnership with the cross-functional business and IT Stakeholders. Excellent modeling skills (application, business capability, business process, integration, data) using standard notations
- Strong presentation and communication skills with ability to engage and influence senior level staff Experience with technical leadership, program management, or people management
- Demonstrated experience leading cross-functional teams through influence, collaboration, and coalition-building; and very comfortable in situations requiring constrained creativity to make sure we are solving business problems today without creating big problems tomorrow
- Deep understanding of cloud platforms (AWS, GCP, Azure), cloud strategy (public, private, hybrid), storage, DNS, routing/switching, load balancing, firewalls and VoIP.
Additional Valuable Skills:
- Pharmaceutical industry experience
- Working in environments with high adoption of Cloud technologies
- Experience in business of rapid change and growth
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.