The Senior Director, Global Competitive Intelligence leads Jazz’s competitive intelligence efforts, providing insights that inform and shape Jazz’s current and future commercial and developmental strategies. This role requires an intelligent, market-savvy, strategic leader to build a team that can work across the key internal stakeholders to deliver critical insights, anticipate market movements, and present informed recommendations and plans that best position Jazz in market.
- Takes a leadership role in defining and executing the necessary competitive intelligence activities required to generate insights that support global clinical development and commercialization of Jazz’s current portfolio as well as future business development.
- Hire and manage qualified CI individual contributors who can work directly with cross-functional teams, report on key competitors and elements of the disease landscape, and provide insights that support competitive, effective, development and commercial planning.
- Develops resident subject matter experts who serve as the go-to resource for competitive market strategy, Jazz competition, coopetition, and potential beneficial or adversarial partnerships
- Creates and manages team responsible for defining and clarifying key intelligence topics and questions of greatest relevance for each indication through cross-functional involvement of the marketing, medical and clinical leads. Ensures that global CI plans reflect the needs of both clinical and commercial teams as well as the needs of all key geographic regions.
- Ensures that Global CI assumptions are consistent across functions as well as regions. Where assumptions differ, understand the reasons for the differences and communicates them clearly.
- Represents Global Competitive Intelligence in cross-company projects with broad strategic or tactical objectives.
- Supports the implementation of functional excellence and standards across all Competitive Intelligence activities within the company. Help the company maintain pace with current industry best practices for quality competitive intelligence, including both technical practices and ethical practices.
- Identifies, evaluates and helps purchase global syndicated secondary CI databases that support the Jazz portfolio. Provides training on databases to colleagues in other functional groups when requested.
- Manage CI budget on behalf of brand teams and engage third party agencies as appropriate.
- Ensure all Global CI research activities are conducted within appropriate code of conduct, compliance and ethical business practices
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
This individual’s primary responsibilities will be to grow and maintain a vibrant global CI team who will conduct most of the CI activities for the current portfolio.Nonetheless, as part of this role, they will sometimes be asked to do:
- Development of timely and actionable competitive insights including effective integration, consolidation and communication of analyses and insights at both disease and brand level
- Ability to integrate primary and secondary information sources to derive competitive insight pipeline assets, develop insight on competitor strategies, tactics and potential positioning to ensure competitiveness of Jazz’s portfolio
- Generates competitive landscapes, with a focus on the core diseases of interest to Jazz. Provides regular updates to the landscapes as well as real-time alerts on key external events such as clinical data releases and product approvals, along with implications for Jazz team-mates.
- Lead competitive intelligence planning for key congresses with input from Company teams and/or third party agency. Drive Company team preparedness, ensure key intelligence questions developed, align onsite activities and consolidate key insights and disseminate post-congress
- Provides insights into the potential impact of market competitors for forecast models and strategic plans, including associated risks and opportunities, and alternate scenarios.
- Facilitates cross-functional and leadership discussions, de-briefs and simulations of competitive scenarios that help embed the CI insights into the development plan and commercial activities of all Jazz pipeline/brand and project teams.
Required/Preferred Education and Licenses
- BS/BA degree required; post-graduate degree in a life sciences related field strongly preferred (MS, PhD).
- 8-10 years of biopharmaceutical business strategy, market or competitive intelligence. A minimum of 3-4 years of competitive intelligence experience is preferred.
- Experience managing and developing competitive intelligence capability within a growing, global, biopharmaceutical company.
- Experience working on and influencing multi-functional teams. Experience working in cross-company alliances or direct client account management (in an internal or external consulting role) is a major positive.
- Ability to effectively influence senior members across functional teams through robust analysis and reasoned solutions.
- Ability to interact with and advise cross-functional teams and enable effective thought partnership with key stakeholders.
- Key to success will be the ability to rapidly comprehend and articulate how competitive threats and opportunities may impact Jazz’s clinical development programs and enterprise-level strategic objectives.
- Familiarity with clinical trial databases and services like clinicaltrials.gov, Global Data, Cortellis, is required.
- Broad experience in secondary and primary competitive methods required, including ability to compare and recommend appropriate integrated competitive intelligence approaches, and to develop a robust plan to address business needs.
- Experience in design and execution of primary competitive intelligence, including the selection of CI vendors, drafting of key intelligence techniques (KITs) and KIQs (key intelligence questions) with a sharp scope, and competent management of conference coverage through to reporting and follow-up.
- Strong ability to lead a cross-functional discussion in an organized and thoughtful manner, systematically using supporting information and logic, building and defending cogent arguments.
- Experience in conducting competitor market simulations preferred.
- Strong strategic skills including ability to see the big picture, conceptual/out of the box thinking, proven management presence and exceptional communication skills preferred.
- Concise and impactful written and verbal communications.
- Fluency in understanding scientific, market and competitive data to spot patterns and opportunities to capture value for Company with respect to competition
- Role model for Jazz Pharmaceuticals’ values.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.