The Associate Director, Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs) position is a strategic leadership role responsible for partnering with the Sleep MSL Director and with other Sleep Medical leaders to manage and inspire a team of MSLs spanning the eastern half of the US, ensuring that the team delivers field-based medical support that is aligned with our products’ clinical development and business objectives. This position will be reporting into the Sleep MSL Director.
- The primary responsibility of this position is to provide guidance to MSLs in cultivating current and future thought leaders in academic and clinical medicine at the local, regional, and national levels in the field of Sleep Medicine. The Sleep MSL Associate Director will lead, manage, coach, train, and develop MSL direct reports to support high performance, and to align with strategic direction for the Jazz Sleep Franchise.
- In addition, the Sleep MSL Associate Director will ensure the maintenance of clear territory KOL engagement plans and hold the team accountable for both adhering to those plans as well as ensuring collection and summary reporting of clinical insights and unanswered customer questions received from external contacts.
- The Sleep MSL Associate Director will support the development of a high level of scientific acumen, strategic thinking, engagement, and both internal and external credibility for the MSL team.
- Operationally, this position will be directly in charge of 7 MSLs whose activities span the eastern half of the US. The Sleep MSL Associate Director will work closely with the MSL Director and will proactively communicate team needs as well as establish a positive and collaborative team culture. S/He will define, clarify and manage the regional team priorities while promoting collaboration within the team and with customers.
- The Sleep MSL Associate Director will appropriately deploy MSLs to respond to unsolicited questions. S/He will appropriately partner with the commercial field team to address challenges and better understand the therapeutic area landscape.
- This position will ensure that all interactions and activities in the territories adhere to corporate and healthcare compliance guidance in all activities, including those related to clinical trials, scientific interactions with internal and external groups, and responses to unsolicited requests for medical/scientific information.
- Manage and develop the MSL team including hiring, field training, evaluation, motivation and disciplinary activities in alignment with the company’s corporate strategies and objectives;
- Assess, manage, and train for the appropriate level and capabilities skill set of MSL to achieve business objectives;
- Maintain clinical, scientific, and technical expertise in specific therapeutic areas and ensure MSL scientific credibility and acumen;
- Develop and maintain productive and appropriate relationships with individuals in other parts of Jazz’s Commercial and R&D organizations
- Manage T&E for direct reports
- MD, PharmD, or PhD degree, experience in Sleep Medicine/Neurology/Pulmonology preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of industry experience, including at least 2 years of proven successful managing experience. Experience managing a team of MSLs preferred
- Demonstrated acumen in presenting clinical and pre-clinical data to external audience and senior management required.
- Strong leadership, team building, negotiation and ability to execute
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Field-based position located in the Eastern half of the US requiring up to 60% travel
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.