The Area Business Director (“ABD”) for the Sleep Business Unit will serve as the key sales leader in his or her assigned Area, responsible for planning, organizing and directing sales activities and strategies to ensure effective, compliant promotion of Jazz Pharmaceuticals products to physicians and other health care providers. The ABD will also manage projects involving cross-functional communication and activities. Geographically, the ABD will have responsibility for one third of the nation and will lead a team of Regional Sales Managers (RSMs) and Specialty Sales Consultants (SSCs) within in their geographic area. The Area Team, on average, will consist of 5/6 RSMs and 45/50 SSCs.
The Area Business Director will:
- Lead Area sales team to exceed sales goals.
- Participate in the development of annual sales budget. Manage to quarterly and annual expense budget. Participate in development, ownership and communication of annual incentive compensation programs.
- Participate in and implement national strategies by driving ideas and tactics to manage AREA challenges. Ensure the development of Regional strategies that embody the same elements.
- Create an environment and culture that is consistent with the greater sales organization.
- The ABD will demonstrate leadership skills that will Instill Trust, Values Differences and Executes through Others. Additionally, Drives Accountability, Provides and Receives Feedback and Develops our Future Talent
- Set clear and consistent performance expectations with RSMs. Provide managerial excellence in recruiting and developing a high performance team including taking appropriate personnel actions in a timely manner. Provide the second level interview screen for all potential SSC hires in the AREA. Rigorously manage through the RSMs to ensure Specialty Sales Consultant success and excellence.
- Develop the leadership and management skill sets of RSMs. Work with individuals to create action plans for continued development and progression; provide first-line guidance to team members for their personal and career development. Ensure the same actions are employed by RSMs with their SSCs.
- Conduct regular performance reviews with RSMs. Sets standards for and ensures regular completion of field contact forms and audit FCRs to ensure effective communication of SSC strengths and opportunities for continued development.
- Conduct regular SSC field contacts each quarter as a key tactic toward ensuring field messaging, compliance, success and identify early warning signals that may be materializing.
- Partner with the Managed Markets team to implement and measure push and pull-through initiatives that support achieving sales objectives.
- Develop and maintain working knowledge of top managed care plans through effective collaboration and communication with the Director(s), Government Regional Accounts and the Senior Director, Payer Accounts
- Develop and maintain a strong partnership with all internal partners such as marketing, training, medical, manage markets/market access, commercial operations, human resources.
- Identify and cultivate appropriate business relationships with key opinion leaders, within each region and the area.
- Work with VP Sales, other Area Business Directors and Senior Management in organizing Jazz Pharmaceuticals’ long-term sales objectives, projecting sales force requirements and establishing solutions that optimize sales effort.
- Participate in home office activities that help drive sales performance including marketing, sales training, and commercial operations.
- Bachelors’ degree in related field is required, advanced degree preferred.
- Eight or more years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry to include supervisory roles in a sales or sales-related function. The highly preferred candidate will have experience that includes the oversight and leadership of managers who manage field-based teams.
- Prior Sleep or CNS experience preferred.
- Experience in the planning and execution of successful launch and push and pull through strategies of new products
- Experience in leading a sales team in the current retail market. Proven ability to navigate complex managed care environment
- Ability to travel 50 to 60% of time is required
- Exceptional analytic, influence, leadership and inspirational abilities
- Strong compliance background and training
- Demonstrated track record of exceptional performance and leadership
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.