Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an international biopharmaceutical company focused on improving patients’ lives by identifying, developing and commercializing meaningful products that address unmet medical needs. We are continuing to expand our commercial product portfolio and our research and development pipeline in therapeutic areas that can leverage our unique expertise.
Our therapeutic areas of focus include sleep and hematology/oncology – areas in which we have a deep understanding of the patient journey and a suite of products and product candidates to address critical needs.
We are looking for the best and brightest talent to join our team. If you’re looking to be a part of a company with an unwavering commitment to improving patients’ lives and being a great place to work, we hope you’ll explore our career openings and get to know Jazz Pharmaceuticals.
The Associate Director, Global Competitive Intelligence is a key contributor to Jazz’s competitive planning efforts to shape Jazz’s current and future commercial and developmental strategies. The role is a strategic thought partner and analytical expert to internal key stakeholders who will be the primary knowledge source for the competitive landscapes of interest. The Associate Director will construct and implement competitive intelligence plans to deliver critical insights, anticipated market movements, and inform recommendations and plans that best position Jazz in competitive markets.
- Strategic thought partner and expert who will serve as a primary resource for competitive market strategy, competition, coopetition, and potential beneficial or adversarial partnerships.
- Partner with a cross-functional team to design and execute the necessary global competitive intelligence plans and activities required to generate insights that support clinical development and commercial teams, as well as, the needs of all key geographic regions.
- Proficient in understanding key intelligence needs and identifying appropriate resources (databases, medical congresses, primary/secondary research, etc.) to inform information gaps.
- Develops and maintains competitive environment landscapes and other needed assessments (threat assessments, benchmarking, etc.) with a focus on the core diseases of interest to Jazz.
- Consistently and effectively communicates with key stakeholders (including senior management) to ensure teams are well informed by presenting landscape updates and distributing timely alerts on key external events (i.e. clinical data releases, product approvals) while highlighting implications for Jazz team-mates.
- Facilitates cross-functional and leadership discussions, debriefs and simulations of competitive scenarios that embed insights into the development plan and commercial activities of all Jazz pipeline/brand and project teams.
- Leads and coordinates competitive intelligence planning for key congresses with input from teams and/or third party agency. Drive team preparedness, develop pre-conference materials, align and deliver on-site activities, develop and disseminate post-congress report.
- Aligns key stakeholders on competitor assumptions across functions and regions and communicates them clearly including where/why they may differ.
- Provides insights into the potential impact of market competitors for forecast models and strategic plans, including associated risks and opportunities, and alternate scenarios.
- Serves as subject matter expert on the use of global syndicated secondary CI databases and can provide training on databases to colleagues in other functional groups as needed.
- Models and enforces CI research within appropriate code of conduct, compliance and ethical business practices.
- Evaluate and manage vendors.
Required/Preferred Education and Licenses
- BS/BA degree required; advanced degree in a life sciences related field strongly preferred (MS, PhD).
- Experience working in cross-company alliances and/or direct client account management (in an internal or external consulting role) is desirable.
- Five years of biopharmaceutical experience with a minimum of 2-3 years of biopharmaceutical business strategy, market or competitive intelligence experience. Expertise in hematology/oncology or neurology preferred.
- Demonstrated success working on and influencing multi-functional teams.
- Ability to effectively influence senior members across functional teams through robust analysis and reasoned solutions.
- Key to success will be the ability to rapidly comprehend and articulate how competitive threats and opportunities may impact Jazz’s clinical development programs and enterprise-level strategic objectives.
- Ability to interact with and advise cross-functional teams and enable effective thought partnership with key stakeholders. Proven ability to lead a cross-functional discussion in an organized and thoughtful manner, systematically using supporting information and logic, building and defending cogent arguments. Prior exposure interacting with senior management highly preferred.
- Fluency in understanding scientific and market data to identify patterns and opportunities to capture value for Company with respect to competition.
- Broad experience in secondary and primary competitive methods required, including ability to compare and recommend appropriate integrated approaches, and to develop a robust plan to address business needs.
- Proficient with Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and databases sources (i.e. Global Data, Cortellis, PubMed, clinicaltrials.gov) is required.
- Demonstrable strong written and oral communication abilities.
- Role model for Jazz Pharmaceuticals’ values.
- Expect travel to be about 25% depending on time of year but may vary.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.