Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an international biopharmaceutical company focused on improving patients’ lives by identifying, developing and commercializing meaningful products that address unmet medical needs. We are continuing to expand our commercial product portfolio and our research and development pipeline in therapeutic areas that can leverage our unique expertise.
Our therapeutic areas of focus include sleep and hematology/oncology – areas in which we have a deep understanding of the patient journey and a suite of products and product candidates to address critical needs.
We are looking for the best and brightest talent to join our team. If you’re looking to be a part of a company with an unwavering commitment to improving patients’ lives and being a great place to work, we hope you’ll explore our career openings and get to know Jazz Pharmaceuticals.
Scientist Pharmacology/ Oncology
This individual will be responsible for leading oncology non-clinical pharmacology activities in the Early Development (ED) Department. Primary responsibilities of Pharmacology function at Jazz is to establish PK/PD/efficacy relationships and exploring drug mechanism of action, identify predictive disease models and biomarkers, in preclinical settings, to drive the discovery and development of Jazz products and drug candidates. This individual will be able to work independently and within ED and project teams to generate study designs, protocols, review and author reports and co-author primary and secondary pharmacodynamics sections of regulatory documents. The scientist is expected to collaborate with external CRO’s and internal functional areas including Clinical Development, Project Management, and Toxicology to design, develop and implement strategies to advance non-clinical studies in hematologic cancers and solid tumors.
• Design and execute experiments to elucidate efficacy, tolerability, biomarkers of efficacy and mechanism of action of small molecule drugs and biologics.
• Excellent communication skill with ability to function within ED and in matrixed, cross functional teams.
• Collaborate with CROs to outsource studies, design via protocols, manage program timing, and costs and with academic labs for Jazz-sponsored research.
• Experience running biochemical or cellular assays, quantitative analysis and biological sample preparation.
• Serve as ED team member and/or lead major pharmacology activities.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• 5-8 years of industry experience in directing or outsourcing preclinical research model development, and investigation of therapeutic potential of drug candidates.
• Experience in managing contract laboratories and sourcing or managing pharmacology programs at a contract laboratory.
• Experience with the translational sciences such as development of disease models, evaluation of mechanism of action, PK/PD/efficacy relationships, predictive and pharmacodynamic biomarker development and drug mechanism of action in preclinical and clinical settings.
• Experience working on exploratory prognostic and PD biomarker identification and assessment in preclinical and clinical samples in rare diseases.
• Ability to independently design and execute experiments to elucidate efficacy, tolerability, biomarkers of efficacy, mechanism of action of small molecule drugs and biologic products.
• Ability to integrate preclinical and clinical data is essential, as is an ability to innovate and apply novel methods to projects.
• Excellent analytical skills with experience in oncology data analysis.
• Ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively in a dynamic, team-oriented environment.
• Strong working knowledge of MS Office, MS Project and GraphPad Prism.
• Strong self-leadership skills, high ability to self-start, and desire and competence to network widely within Jazz, the scientific community, and regulatory agencies.
• Must be detail oriented with strong documentation and organizational skills.
• Proven ability to oversee academic research, CRO's and consultants.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Excellent contingency planning and time management skills and demonstrated ability to manage a number of projects simultaneously.
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills, and be capable of independent and creative thinking.
• Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly-matrixed work environment.
• Embody and model Jazz core values.
Required/Preferred Education and Licenses:
• Education: Doctoral degree (PhD) in biology, biochemistry or relevant discipline and 5-8 years of experience developing nonclinical models for the characterization of therapeutic efficacy and/or pharmacodynamics.
Description of Physical Demands:
• Routine mobility within office environment.
• Routine sitting for extended periods of time.
• Significant travel to oversee outsourced activities.
• Operating a computer, printer, telephone and other similar office machinery.
Description of Work Environment:
• Work indoors in normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, fumes, vibrations and temperature changes.
•Frequent computer use at workstation.
•May move from one work location to another occasionally.
• Responsibilities may require a work schedule that may include working outside of “normal” work hours, in order to meet business demands.
• Occasional public contact requiring appropriate business apparel.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.